First we weed the newspaper clippings.   Just because they appear in a
collection

does not automatically mean they will be kept.   We look at them carefully
to find

the "connection."    Second we also consider whether we might already have
the

newspaper in microfilm.   We might simply record the bibliographic data
rather than

try to preserve the clipping.   There's a danger here as we've found several
regional

newspapers that change a page or two depending on the county or city they
are

covering.   Some of these variations appear on microfilm but not all.   We
have to

weigh time and staff commitment versus simply photocopying it.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213

  _____