Is there any way you can afford more *shelves*?  In one section of our
library we have industrial shelving (deep) with many shelves just 2-4
inches apart. One folio or double-folio publication per shelf. Should work
for flat doc cases too. Overall, it takes up only a little more vertical
space than stacking books/boxes on top of each other in a 1-foot high
space.