Let's not forget the "Lost Colony" in North Carolina, the true first English colony in America.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/03/0302_040302_lostcolony.html

Debra Scarborough (whose family arrived in Virginia in 1623)

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Debra Scarborough, MLS AHIP
History Librarian & Archivist
ACOG Resource Center/History Library & Archives
409 12th St. SW,  Washington, DC 20024
202-863-2578 / 202-484-1595 (fax)
+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
"Books rule the world" - Voltaire

Peter wrote:
>Well let me ask a question of this august group. Which
>English colony was the first one to be established in America?
>Plymouth Colony or Jamestown?

Popham Colony, Maine?

I suppose it also depends what you mean by "established" of course, given
that neither Popham or Jamestown survived.

Best Friday wishes from the UK

Richard Taylor