Peter Kurilecz writes:
On 3/16/06, Susan D'Entremont <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> This is very interesting to me.  My daughter loves learning about
"world
> cultures," and, since transferring to public schools, has been
wondering
> when she would be able to study it again.

there is nothing stopping her from studying world history on her own.
If she has the passion she will check out what the library has and
what can be in the bookstores. A library card is free and is nothing
more than a license to learn. that's what I did when I was much much
younger. When I was younger I was always asked what I wanted for
Christmas or my birthday, my answer? BOOKS! you can guide her in her
readings.
*********

EF: A big amen to that.  (I remember reading my way through the
adult WWII books from the White Station Branch of the Memphis Public
Library as a kid, after I proved to one of the lady librarians that
I could read a long paragraph from one that I wanted to check out.)

PK: We must first of all get our kids to know our own history

EF: And I've come to think that "our own" should start with the
child's neighborhood and home town, and work out from there, and
that it should be integrated with geography.  In my day, of course,
it was done bass-ackwards and still is, to the extent it's done
at all.

Ed Frank
UM Libraries