Our yearbook at the University of Utah, the UTONIAN, ceased publication
in 1970; I think it was part of the whole anti-establishment, "up the
man" attitude of the times.  There have been a few rumblings about
reviving it since, but nothing has ever come of them.  The photos taken
by the yearbook staff over the years form the foundation of our
University archival photo collection.  Most of the categories in the UU
photo archives come to a halt in 1970, and coverage of campus events and
people after that is spotty.  There was a coffee table book produced for
the University's sesquicentennial in 2000, and we did a website which
you can see at http://www.lib.utah.edu/150; I think I've mentioned this
before.

(Incidentally, we used to have a sign at the entrance of campus that
said "Oldest university west of the Mississippi" having been established
in 1850; then to our chagrin we learned that I think the University of
Oregon was established earlier.  "Curse you, Oregon!" as Jon Stewart
might say.  Just kidding though!)

All that said, the yearbooks are heavily used and a very valuable
resource for us, not only for photos of grandpa or uncle Jim when he was
on the football team, but for faculty, buildings, events, and the
general tone of the campus.  So heavily used, in fact, that the complete
run we keep in the reference room was starting to show the wear so we
took another complete run that we keep in the back (we have a number of
complete runs of it) and are de-binding and digitizing the whole thing.
This was one of the new library director's first projects, and a great
one it is.  I can't wait until it's done and we can access it, because,
probably like most of yours, there is no index, so it will be wonderful
to have a searchable copy.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections