From: Leon Miller [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:49 AM
To: Sam Passey; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Processing of Newspaper Clippings

"The general consensus is that typically newspaper clippings are photocopied and the originals discarded except in rare circumstances."

By which you mean, clippings are photocopied only after they are heavily weeded, correct? Surely no archives is simply photocopying every clipping they come across in a collection.

----
Leon C. Miller, Manuscripts Librarian

Dear List Members,
Thanks to all of those who gave me feedback.  The general consensus is that typically newspaper clippings are photocopied and the originals discarded except in rare circumstances.  In cases where they are kept they are placed between sheets of buffer paper.  If money and time were not issues, what (if anything) would you do differently when it comes to processing newspaper clippings in collections?  Would we still photocopy and discard or would we try to save the original clipping?

Sam Passey