The Jewish Women’s Archive seeks a Digital Archivist to join its New Orleans digital collecting project team.  The project, developed in conjunction with the Center for History and New Media at George Mason University, is designed to collect, record and present the experience of the Jews of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast before, during and after hurricanes Katrina and Rita by gathering online submissions of emails, documents, digital images, video and audio, and written and spoken first hand accounts.

Working closely with the project team on the overall design of the collection project, the digital archivist holds primary responsibility for reviewing submissions and determining appropriate descriptive, administrative and structural metadata to enable effective data retrieval and use. The archivist will also be responsible for the development of any requisite controlled vocabulary and for recommending specific solutions regarding the long term preservation of the online collections.

This part-time position is available immediately and will last through September 30, 2006. All work will take place at JWA’s office in Brookline, MA.

The mission of the Jewish Women’s Archive (www.jwa.org), a non-profit organization, is to uncover, chronicle and transmit the rich legacy of American Jewish women and their contributions to our families and our communities, to our people and to our world.  Our online archive is at the core of our strategy to serve as a resource for teachers, researchers, and others seeking information in the field of Jewish women’s history.

Qualifications:

·         MLS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in information/records management

·         Strong knowledge of and experience with digital archive initiatives, particularly in the development of policies and procedures

·         Familiarity with digitization projects and standards for media such as photographs, audio, video, as well as newer digital formats

·         Strong project management skills

·         Excellent written/oral communication skills

·         Passion for ensuring that important pieces of Jewish women’s history are organized and properly preserved

·         Previous experience in Jewish women’s history a plus, but not required.

Please send a resume and cover letter to:

Jewish Women's Archive

138 Harvard Street

Brookline, MA  02446

Gail T. Reimer