From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of aki
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 6:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Archival Standard for Providing Access to Architectural
Drawings?

I wish to inquire if archivists have professional standards for
providing access to architectural drawings in their collections.

My institution has received a request for drawings of a building that
was constructed in the mid-1980s as a savings and loan and is now used
by the county tax office.

The drawings are part of a collection of approximately 50,000 drawings.
We received them on permanent loan, with the family's intent to donate
them once the donor's estate is settled.  The architect placed no
restrictions on his drawings when we took them.

I'd like to inquire whether or not:

1. Archives that hold architectural drawings restrict access to them by
requiring the person who wants them to obtain and provide the written
permission of the building's current owner.

2. Archives are liable if individuals who are granted access to
architectural drawings misuse them in any way.

On the one hand, I don't want to impede access to our holdings.  On the
other, I want to ensure that my institution is protected from liability.

Your advice, please.  Many thanks!

Casey Edward Greene

Head of Special Collections

Rosenberg Library

2310 Sealy

Galveston, TX  77550

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of
participation, please refer to

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES