Louisiana State University

From:Archives & Archivists <[log in to unmask]> on 03/29/2006
12:47

Sent by: Archives & Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond to Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]>

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:   (bcc: Russell D James/rjames8/LSU)

Subject:    Re: Paper copy of electronic only materials?

My recommendation has to indeed make paper copies of electronic

documents BUT be sure it is something you plan to retain permanently

for the archives.    A new CD drive is imminent and a new DVD process

is almost here and these will gradually change our ability to read older

CDs and DVDs.   Our library techs have told us that the new computers

that are coming in will not be able to read 1.5 disks any longer so we’re

having to go through these media and see what to preserve, print, etc.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of WestFlorida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213