We have similar items.   I've read the suggestions so far, and actually
since an

archival collection can be an author's works, even if photocopies - and
you say

the author sent them to you - the easiest and best way, I think, is
simply to set

up an artificial collection, the John Doe Papers, consisting of
photocopies and

offprints of his articles and writings, primarily dealing with (insert
subject).

This is far less labor intensive than creating long bibliographies,
checking against

other things, trying to get the original issues, etc.    Why bother to
do all that?

If the person is still alive, you should (for goodwill, at least) have
the collection

Intact if he/she should visit.   I don't see that it is the role of the
archives staff in

this instance to create a bibliography of writings.    You can make an
inventory

listing each writing that you have, if necessary.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213