From: Archives & Archivists on behalf of Karen Peterson
Sent: Wed 3/29/2006 9:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Valuation of archives collections: may I ask again?

Colleagues,

I have been asked to valuate our archives collection for insurance purposes. Our collections consist of a Medical Museum, historical photographs, manuscripts and personal papers, subject and biographical files, oral histories, ephemera, etc.

It was previously suggested that I check on E-Bay to see what comparable items are selling for. With the size and uniqueness of our collections I find this unpromising.

I have only been able to locate one article, The Appraisal of Manuscripts: Theory and Practice Henry Bartholomew Cox, Ph.D., J.D., ASA  from the American Society of Appraisers, dated from the 1980's.

Has anyone been asked to produce the same type of information? If so, could you point me to publications that would aid in the theory and practice. If this is an impossible feat or is just not done, could you tell me that, as well.

Thank you,

Karen

Karen Lea Anderson Peterson
Senior Research Assistant