So that urban legend was doing the rounds (spread by teachers) in the US as well? We were informed that EVERY infraction of school rules - "and stop that talking, lovell-Smith!' - would go on our Permanent Record, to be secretly scrutinised by everyone but us until the age of 30 (the teacher's age by coincidence), at which stage, in the unlikely event of us not being in prison, we would be informed that the record was to be destroyed. Age 30 came and went and nobody told me...

A job for Mythbusters?

Tim Lovell-Smith
Manuscripts and Archives Section
ALEXANDER TURNBULL LIBRARY

http://tapuhi.natlib.govt.nz

>>> "Scott, Kim" <[log in to unmask]> 31/03/06 10:17:35 >>>
Am I the only one, or is someone else reading this thread and thinking
about all those elementary school teachers who told us that our
misdemeanors would be duly recorded in our "permanent record?"

 Where are those "permanent records" now?  And who is looking at
them????

Kim Allen Scott

Montana State University, Bozeman

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES