Where are those permanent records now and who is looking at them?

I have them and occasionally I'm looking at them.  In the case of my
district, I have hundreds of thousands of them and they are indeed
permanent.  Now as Maarja indicates, what is permanent is not the record of
infractions, counselor notes, and so on.  Particularly for graduates, it's
the record of courses taken and grades received, essentially what generates
the transcript.  We have a large body of non-graduate records which covers
those who end their education before graduation, those who move away, those
who change to private schooling, etc.  Those records aren't much different
from the graduate record except for numerical codes applied, indicating the
type of withdrawal.  Some of the non-graduate records become active again as
former students return to school to seek their GED.

This did give me a new way to explain archives at my last high school
reunion, when I told my classmates I have their permanent records.

Mary Margaret Bell
Coordinator, Archives and Retrieval Systems
Jefferson County Public Schools, Louisville, KY
Phone:  502-485-3098
Fax:  502-485-6071