Hello,

Before I go back to school to learn more about archival techniques and preservation, I decided to do some
reading about the field. I'm now reading an online course called Preservation 101 prepared by the Northeast
Document Conservation Center. I've learned so much and I'm happy to say that a lot of the things mentioned
in the course, well I'm already practicing.

But I think I'm getting confused, especially with the principle called Provenance Arrangement. The way my
supervisor organized the collections (before I was hired) is that she separated the documents, photographs,
objects, and textiles that is in one collection. For ex, in a collection, sometimes it consists of military docs,
photos, etc. And so now, a collection with multi-formatted materials may be located in the document, photo,
or textile storage room. Before reading the course and since I've read articles that state to separate
documents from photographs, I thought the way we organized the collections make sense. But after reading
the meaning of Provenance Arrangement, I'm thinking, are we organizing the collections the wrong way?

Also, I'm confused about the subject, accessioning photocopies and newspaper clippings. I'm in the process
of re-organizng the document collections and I must say that we have a lot of newspaper clippings
(sometimes duplicates of the same newspaper) and photocopies of newspapers that dates back from WWI. But
after reading the messages in the listerv that state you should either make a copy of the newspaper clippings
since it's very acidic and may damage other collections, or create a bibliography, I'm thinking again, are we
organizing it the wrong way? I'm not sure if there are other copies of our WWI newspapers in other
institutions, but I'm assuming that there aren't so that is why we are keeping them.

Please help. I need guidance.

Thank You,
Rona