Hi all—my University is amending its sexual harassment policy to include new responsibilities for Faculty as follows:

  1. Duty to Act—University faculty, administrators, and supervisors are responsible for fostering and maintaining a work place, educational and living environment that results in a campus culture where Prohibited Harassment is not tolerated.  Faculty, administrators and supervisors have a legal obligation to act whenever they learn—directly or indirectly—about the occurrence of Prohibited Harassment.  Faculty, administrators and supervisors shall immediately notify the appropriate University officers (see below, Procedure A-4).
  2. Failure to Act—Failure of faculty, administrators or supervisors to notify the appropriate University officer or the Office of Legal Compliance of allegations of Prohibited Harassment, or failure to take timely corrective action as advised, may be a violation of University policy and of the law.  Faculty, administrators or supervisors who engage in such misconduct may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, under this or other policies.

My questions are how does this compare with other universities, and if any other universities (mine has not yet done so) have placed similar requirements upon student officers of various student orgs?  I would welcome input from my ALSB colleagues.

Susan Boyd, J.D.

Director and Endowed Fellow of Business Law

Genave King Rogers Business Law Center

University of Tulsa

BAH 206-A, 600 S. College

Tulsa, OK   74104