In a message dated 4/7/2006 5:36:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:
I predict that cuneiform, as a preservation technology, will go away. Along
with palm-leaf books.
Gee, the last cuneiform tablet I saw looked pretty well baked, even more so
than my last batch of chocolate chip cookies.  The cookies, however, were not
as hard as a rock, and thereby disappeared rather quickly.  I guess to preserve
them I'd have to bake them further.

As for palm leaf books, well, I don't anticipate their preservation into
posterity.  The palm leaves the kids will wave this Sunday (they don't use them as
books, more like skinny paper airplanes) will be saved, but only till next
February when they will be burned to ashes for Ash Wednesday.  Baked too well,
perhaps.

Holly Wilhelm Mills
Amherst, Virginia