My turn!

Peter, as I understand it, illicitly gotten SSNs don't come with markers
to identify them.  But if I were a suspicious person, I could check ANY
SSN against the SSDI.  If it isn't there, I still don't know if it's good.
 If it is there, I know that the person identified is dead, and therefore
probably doesn't need credit.

> But wouldn't you already have that number somewhere? how does a SSN
> connect someone to their parents? how does it provide a clue to
> previous employment. The SSN pby itself doesn't do that but rather it
> is the work record that shows previous work record. The SSN is the
> link to that information.

My father died when I was 13, my mother when I was 17. I did not have
their social security numbers. My sisters and brother may have, but I
don't hear from them much, and have not been able to get much information
from them when I do.  Knowing my father's death date meant I could find
him in the SSDI. Sending for and receiving the application told me his
place of employment when he applied. It also told me where he was living.

Looking up my mother, I discovered that they had her death date wrong.
Nice to be able to correct that information. It doesn't matter much to her
anymore, but I like to think that if any descendants go looking, the
government won't be giving them incorrect info.  Without the open access
to these records, I doubt that I would have found this mistake. When I
wrote to them, it would have been with no SSN and the correct death date.

Personal data is indeed easily found by criminal minds, but I think that
they find it much more profitable to get that information by phishing,
dumpster diving, and the like. Have you ever noticed how willing people
are to give all sorts of information to a stranger offering you a 2 liter
bottle of Coke if you sign up for a credit card?

peace,

Bette
Bette Johnson Sohm

Your donations help the past live!