Actually, http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi allows you to do an interactive search on the Social Security Death List, complete with birth and death information, SSN, and a form letter to send to the Social Security Administration for a copy of the original application. The first option on the page is an ancestry.com search, but scroll down and you'll see the other one.

-----Original Message-----
From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Madden, Robert
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 8:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ARCHIVES Digest - 31 Mar 2006 to 1 Apr 2006 (#2006-89)

I fear for the federal government's creations.  I believe you now have
to sign up with Ancestry.com in order to access the Social Security
Death List.  If someone knows different, please tell me.  I've seen
copyrighted editions of Statistical Abstract - where the "copyright
holder" has put in little explanations, cross-references, etc. and the
average person might not be able to tell what is government-created
(public domain) or added (not public domain.) Actually that was some
time ago. I wonder if some court case decided those extras did not
constitute creativity.
   Bob