On 4/4/06, Diane C. Russell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If the SSN is listed in one of the onliine Social Security death indexes,
> whether it be a derivative of the Social Security Death Master File, or a
> state death index, it is a pretty good bet that any use of that number to
> identify a living person is fraudulent.

But how is someone supposed to know that the SSN is being fraudulently
used? There does not exist any system that an employer or government
agency can go to tell them that a SSN is fraudulent or not.

> > I don't see how redacting or restricting the use of SSN is destroying
> > our culture and our society.
>

> The SSNs for deceased persons are necessary for submitting FOIA requests to
> Social Security and can be especially valuable in connecting deceased
> individuals with their parents, as well as providing clues to their previous
> residence or work locations.

But wouldn't you already have that number somewhere? how does a SSN
connect someone to their parents? how does it provide a clue to
previous employment. The SSN pby itself doesn't do that but rather it
is the work record that shows previous work record. The SSN is the
link to that information.

>This becomes more important as more and more
> states close access to vital records.

the access is being closed to all who are not directly related. People
are more aware now of the PII that is out on the net via government
records. In the past one had to physically visit the county records
office and troll through the myriad volumes to find the information.

 >Closing off this kind of access to
> records used for identifying deceased individuals makes it harder to study
> history, biography, and genealogy, and certainly does nothing to enhance our
> understanding of our culture and its history.

I'm still not fully convinced that redacting SSNs from the public
record is going to do what you suggest. Genealogy and historical
research has always been hard. Personal data is found in all sorts of
places and criminals are searching for that information.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va