When I was formally hired as an assistant archivist (LTA I) in 1972, the University

then sent me to the Ohio Historical Institute in Columbus in June/July 1973.  This

was an intensive two-week training session for beginning archivists (Library-Archives

Institute) which had lectures by many profession leaders in areas of accessioning,

processing, conservation, oral history, acquisitions, reference work, management,

supplies and equipment, etc. with weekend field trips to Western Reserve Historical

Society in Cleveland, and local visits to Ohio State University Archives.    There were

some other institutes offered then but for us in the Midwest, this was the one!

Additional training opportunities were afforded by workshops offered at regional

meetings like Midwest Archives Conference or sessions at the Society of American

Archivists’ annual meeting.

Dean

Dean DeBolt

University Librarian, Special Collections

John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida

11000 University Parkway

Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

850-474-2213