From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Tom Kemp
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 12:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Microfilm --- Is this technology going away?

There has been a thread on another library list that proposes that
microfilm and its associated technology is going away.

The idea is that the companies that make the film itself, film
duplicating equipment, microfilm cameras, readers, etc. are all dropping
microfilm related products. It goes further to suggest that because of
this it is very difficult to acquire replacement equipment.

It suggests that business, government, archives and libraries are all
moving to digital preservation of business records and historical
records/documents causing a steady down shift in the market.

Like other, older formats the end product still exists (5.4" floppies;
3.5" floppies; 8 track etc.) but that the equipment we'll need to use
and replicate the microfilm will not be there. That it will be difficult
to get spare parts; replacement equipment.

What are you hearing on this?

Thanks.

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of
participation, please refer to

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES