Dennis,

Thank you for reminding us about our ancestor's record keeping angst.

We are all nervous about the shift that technology is causing (a better
word might be "allowing") in the world of recorded information.
Circulation figures at some academic libraries are plummeting, while the
building itself gets more visitors than ever....just to use the
computers.

I think that some concerns over the availability of parts, supplies, or
anything related to "old school" information storage are not taking into
consideration an interesting twist.  The same technology that is
outdating these devices and media is the same technology that will help
put you in touch with it.  Let me explain with an example.

I own an Edison phonograph player.....one of those hand crank devices
that plays records that look like a black plastic toilet paper tube.
Ten years ago when it began to malfunction, I thought that I would never
get to hear it again.  Just last month, when the mood struck, I went
shopping on the internet for parts, records, etc. and was AMAZED at how
much is out there.  Not just surplus old parts, but actually newly
manufactured parts for this rather esoteric niche market.

That's something to consider when thinking about tape recorders,
microfilm readers and the like.  The internet makes it possible for
businesses devoted to all these old devices to THRIVE by reaching the
most distant customers; ones that in the past would have never known the
possibility for repair or replacement existed.

Just a positive spin on this thread before the weekend.

Kim Allen Scott

Montana State University, Bozeman

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of
participation, please refer to

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES