From: "Scott, Kim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:44:01 -0600
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARCHIVES] Further OT: Microfilm --- Is this technology going away?

Dennis,

Thank you for reminding us about our ancestor’s record keeping angst.

We are all nervous about the shift that technology is causing (a better word might be “allowing”) in the world of recorded information.  Circulation figures at some academic libraries are plummeting, while the building itself gets more visitors than ever….just to use the computers.

I think that some concerns over the availability of parts, supplies, or anything related to “old school” information storage are not taking into consideration an interesting twist.  The same technology that is outdating these devices and media is the same technology that will help put you in touch with it.  Let me explain with an example.

I own an Edison phonograph player…..one of those hand crank devices that plays records that look like a black plastic toilet paper tube.  Ten years ago when it began to malfunction, I thought that I would never get to hear it again.  Just last month, when the mood struck, I went shopping on the internet for parts, records, etc. and was AMAZED at how much is out there.  Not just surplus old parts, but actually newly manufactured parts for this rather esoteric niche market.

That’s something to consider when thinking about tape recorders, microfilm readers and the like.  The internet makes it possible for businesses devoted to all these old devices to THRIVE by reaching the most distant customers; ones that in the past would have never known the possibility for repair or replacement existed.

Just a positive spin on this thread before the weekend.

Kim Allen Scott
Montana State University, Bozeman
A posting from the Archives  Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.

Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at  http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html

Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at  http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html

Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>