On 4/7/06, Scott, Kim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I own an Edison phonograph player…..one of those hand crank devices that
> plays records that look like a black plastic toilet paper tube.  Ten years
> ago when it began to malfunction, I thought that I would never get to hear
> it again.  Just last month, when the mood struck, I went shopping on the
> internet for parts, records, etc. and was AMAZED at how much is out there.
> Not just surplus old parts, but actually newly manufactured parts for this
> rather esoteric niche market.

lots of the major manufacturers are getting out of the business
because they demand that exists cannot support their manufacturing
systems. However a smaller business can take on the job of producing
the parts and still make a profit. Just take a look at the automobile
parts business. People who want to restore a car are able to find
parts that have been made by small vendors.

for example not too far from west of Richmond in a small locality
there exists a machine shop that produces Ford Mustang parts. Ford
can't afford to make the parts but this shop can.

there is still a demand for microfilm (in all its forms), it will
continue to be manufactured, but not by the major film manufacturers.

peterk

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va