At 09:49 AM 4/9/2006, Russell D. James wrote:
>This is scary!  If microfilm is still the preferred and accepted
>standard for document preservation in the archives world, and
>microfilm reader/printer manufacturers are discontinuing the
>production of the machines, then how long will we archivists wait to
>update or change our preservation standard to some other format?  We
>had better do it soon.

This is my first post to this list.

There is a parallel to audio: Most manufacturers stopped making
reel-to-reel recorders before the archives world stopped suggesting
that 1/4-inch tape was the preservation "gold standard."

It's good that we can keep older machines running as the new ones
that are being made are not on a par with the last great machines.

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.