I am starting a project to scan high resolution TIFF images of the old photographs (some over 100 years old) in our small school archives. Some of the photographs are mounted on crumbling matboard and are quite large. Since I must depend upon alumni donations to fund the archives, our resources for purchasing equipment is somewhat limited. I plan to use the TIFF images for prints and for creating and editing JPEG images for the Web. Two questions:
  1. Can someone recommend a moderately priced flatbed scanner for this purpose?
  2. What is the standard resolution for scanning reference copies in TIFF format?

    Thanks to all.

    Calvin Fenton
    Librarian/Archivist
    New York Military Academy