From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Elizabeth Whitaker
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 1:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cost of living

I suggest looking at old newspapers of that time period that were published
in his geographic area of interest.
These would have advertisements for various items, especially houses and
other real estate. I doubt there would be much information available on
clothing as ready-to-wear would not have existed, aside for such items as
men's hats. Tailors and milliners _may_ have run advertisements giving
prices and/or estimates.

Most Southern newspapers published irregularly, if at all, after the end of
1860 and before about 1870.

I have found InterLibrary Loan to be invaluable in obtaining newspaper
microfilm for newspapers not held by Clemson.

Elizabeth Whitaker
Graduate Student, History
Clemson University
Clemson, SC