Joyce,
;
I wonder why Peter never uses that header :)

Chris Flynn

A station and post office on Abbaye Peninsula, in L'Anse Township, Baraga
County. Aura is a parish in SW Finland and also the river crossing the city
of Turku, SW Finland.
Aura = plow.
----

The settlement started about ten years ago.

Source: Ilmonen 1926, p. 119.

----

Aura (aura, "plow") was apparently coined by Juho Heikki Jasberg, who acted
as a land agent for the Hebard Lumber Company, selling cut-over lands to
Finnish settlers on Point Abbaye, Baraga County, in the year 1914.

Source: Kaups 1979, p. 31.

----

A station on the Duluth , South Shore & Atlantic Railroad, in L'Anse
Township; the village was founded by Tobias Hiltunen in 1914; its first
settlers named it Aura, the Finnish word for plow; given a post office in
1921, its first postmaster was Mrs. Hilda Mytly, mother of the present
(1963) postmaster, Edna Mytly Lehto.

Source: Romig 1986, p. 35.