I was in AU's Archives/Special Collections on Friday,
and will be again on Wednesday, looking through the
papers of the late Ed Bliss of CBS News. It is on the
third floor of Bender Library, with some materials
stored off-site in Bowie MD. One of the archivists
used to work at the National Public Broadcasting
Archives about 15 years ago.

I have organized a series of vegetarian/animal rights
conferences there (VegFest DC) for VSDC in
collaboration with the student group AUARE and I have
attended a space history conference and a Jerry Brown
speech there, among many other things, over the past
decade or so.

The weekly campus broadsheet newspaper is the American
Eagle. There is a shuttle that goes to the
Tenleytown/AU Metrorail Station. WRC-TV 4 (NBC's O&O
in DC)--where "Meet the Press" normally originates--is
nearby. Bender Library is the main library--it has
better hours than my graduate school at the University
of Maryland. Of course, the LOC is a half-hour subway
ride away. The area of DC is relatively safe. Many of
the students unfortunately dress like it is casual day
at the beach I am dismayed to say. The convenience
store "Eagle's Nest" has several vegean items--there
are quite a few vegetarians/vegans on campus. I am
very sad to say, there is also a McD----'s on the
campus as of about four years ago. AU has had a series
of tumultous presidential administrations in the past
decade. One president for many years was an
astronomer--a guest on ABC News Nightline several
times--who snapped mentally upon going home to a
family funeral and started making off-color phone
calls that were eventually traced to his office and he
wound up resigning.

Lots more I could say but those are a few quick bits.

--ar hogan