Lonnie Roberts of Georgia initially asked about the price of everyday
items between 1851 and 1875 and Elizabeth Whitaker of South Carolina
noted that many Southern newspapers published somewhat sporadically
during the Late Unpleasantness.

Further complicating the issue for the early 1860's is that the Federal
government imposed certain restraint of trade policies that resulted in
spot shortages of goods throughout the South.  There was also
considerable inflation of the local currency during that period and,
often it was uncertain if prices quoted were in paper or specie.

Nevertheless, in my private research into the Southern Resistance
Movement I have seen frequent references in soldier's letters and
official receipts to prices for various items--mostly foodstuffs.  And
the remarkable part of it is that in March 1865 the Confederate dollar
had more buying power than today's dollar.

Perhaps, more to the point, is that in Texas (and probably other states
as well) has records of accounts (a.k.a. Claims) paid for military and
civilian purposes that document the price of goods ranging from gun caps
and fence pickets to draft animals and capital goods.  The Texas Claims
Records are available on microfilm 1836-1845 (before the period asked
about) but I believe that the Texas State Archives has later Claims as
well.  And I doubt that Texas is the only state with Claims records.

Another source, if one is interested in the War for Southern
Independence is:  "Publication  Washington [District of Columbia] : The
National Archives, 1982 Physical  1158 microfilm reels ; 16 mm.
National Archives microfilm publications : M0346  References  (Related
(rev) Confederate papers relating to citizens or business firms."

Also, Lonnie, if your researcher is interested in the Civil War, have
him/her look at Paul A. Levengood, "In the Absence of Scarcity:  The
Civil War Prosperity of Houston, Texas," _Southwestern Historical
Quarterly_ April 1998.  There are some items there about prevailing
prices of goods and the economic and social conditions affecting them.

Paul R. Scott, CA, CRM

Records Management Officer

Harris County, TX