Joyce Menard stated:  "I am trying to find where to look to find the
original date that L'Anse, MI in the Upper Peninsula was platted.
The County (Baraga) wasn't established until 1875 and I believe that
the town was platted prior."

Counties are like amoebas--they multiply by dividing.

Assuming that L'Anse was indeed platted, the plat would have been filed
in the county that was subsequently split-off to form Baraga County, or
that part of Baraga County.

In Texas it was customary for the new county to send researchers to the
courthouse(s) of the donor county(ies) to transcribe the real property
records affecting the lands in the new county.  I'm a bit surprised that
this doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Paul R. Scott, CA, CRM
Records Management Officer
Harris County, TX