If you look at NARA's redacted version of its classification MOU at http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2006/nr06-85.html
you will see that the official who declassified the document is David Mengel.  Years ago, when he first started out at NARA, David once worked for my sister when she was a supervisory archivist in NARA's records declassification division.  She helped train him and served as a mentor to him at the start of his career.  For the past few years (the last years of John Carlin's tenure as U.S. Archivist), David was the supervisory archivist in charge of the Nixon tapes at NARA's Nixon Project.  He moved on to a new job at NARA around the beginning of 2005 -- or late 2004. (That's based on my hazy recollection from chatting with him last summer.)  David now is Chief of NARA's Special Access/Freedom of Information Act unit.  I regard him as a person of integrity and hold him in high esteem professionally and personally.

Maarja
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.