I'd like to request opinions from college and university archivists concerning archives advisory boards/committees and what role they play in your activities.

For many years we had an advisory committee consisting of faculty and senior administrators.  This committee has not met in several years and I am wondering if there's any point in re-constituting it.  Obviously, the fact that I've had no need to convene this committee over several years might be compelling evidence that it no longer needs to exist.

Our committee originated with one of my predecessors, a "self-taught" archivist who actively solicited advice from those with a stake in the administration of archives and access to the records.  Along with convening the committee to decide on requests for access to confidential records, this committee also served an advocacy role at a time when this Archives was essentially hanging out there with "no visible means of support."

Now we are part of our academic library, which reduces (but does not eliminate) the need for such advocacy, and our earlier 50-year restriction on administrative records has been shortened to 25 years.  Naturally, we still have contact with faculty and administrators, and we do try to keep warm thoughts in their hearts concerning the Archives.

I'd welcome thoughts anyone might have on this question, but I'm specifically looking for comments from those who have - or had - such a committee.  (1) What benefits did/do you derive?  (2) Does your committee still exist?  (2a) If not, what led to its dissolution?  (3) Do you wish you had such a committee now?

Please respond to the list.  Should you have any comments that you do not want read by the entire list, respond directly to me and I promise to keep them confidential.  Thank you.

James Stimpert
Archivist (Arts and Sciences)        E-mail:    [log in to unmask]
MSE Library
Johns Hopkins University             Voice:     (410) 516-8323
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD  21218                  Fax:       (410) 516-7202