I agree with everything Mr. Miller says on this subject. I would also
add that a factor that argues against collecting textbooks in archives
is their lack of uniqueness, a quality much published material shares.
While old textbooks do have some research value, there are some
libraries out there that specialize in collecting them, and circulating
many of them by interlibrary loan. You may also want to consider such
questions as: Is there an especially strong demand for historic
textbooks at your institution? Can the demand me met conveniently by
other collections?

If the textbooks were published, produced or authored at your
institution, that may tip the balance in favor of collecting them. But
as a general rule, I would think collecting them might be better left to
others.

Thomas J. Wood
Archivist
Archives/Special Collections LIB 144