Here we had several collections that were only left with us on deposit
years ago. When it came time for us to move for renovations we had to track
down the owners to see if they would sign a deed of gift or reclaim the
collection as we did not want the liability in moving something we did not own.

We were also the recipient not to long ago of a collection that had been
left on deposit at another institution that had cataloged the entire
collection only to have the owner decide he did not like how they were
handling his collection.  Needless to say we insisted on ownership.

Alison Bridger

At 08:21 AM 4/21/2006, you wrote:

>We have been presented with a collection that holds great interest for
>us.   We would not own it only house and maintain it.  The owners insist
>on unfettered access.  The collection includes microfilm and a sizeable
>number of bound volumes.
>
><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>
>While everyone here would like the collection, this arrangement leaves me
>unsettled.  Placing conditions on a donation is commonplace but
>indefinitely caring for a collection we would not own seems like a step in
>the wrong direction.  Perhaps I am being too cautious.
>

>I'd love to hear from other voices on the matter.
>

>Simone Myree-Rofe
>Archivist
>Edward Nabb Research Center
>Salisbury University
>1101 Camden Avenue
>Salisbury, MD 21804
>410-677-5356
>A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the
>Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of
>participation, please refer to
>http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to [log in to unmask]
>In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES

>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
>Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

Alison E. Bridger, MLS
Manuscripts Cataloger
Technical Services
The Bancroft Library
(510) 642-8175

"Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it."
- Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables, by L. M. Montgomery.