Thank you, Christina.  You make some good points.  Of course it is
difficult to speak up about something as complex as records
declassification/reclassification.  Many of you post about things I
know nothing about and I don't speak up on them.

I apologize for not having posted links to some of NARA's regulations
on declassification, researcher's rights to request mandatory review,
etc.  I'm still looking for a good succinct recap of that stuff --
pause while everyone chuckles at Maarja's use of the word succinct.  In
the meantime, you and others on the List might want to take a look at
some of the pertinent regulations.  See
http://www.archives.gov/about/regulations/part-1260.html

I appreciate your sticking you neck out on this issue  -- I know many
people simply don't feel comfortable doing that!! -- and hope you find
the link useful.

Today's NYT also runs an editorial about the NARA reclassification
issue:  "Putting the Cat Back Into the Bag."  See
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/opinion/19weds4.html (registration
required)

Money quote:

"The new director of the National Archives, Allen Weinstein, rightly
put a stop to this nonsense as soon as he heard about it. But he will
need to do more than just abrogate these suspect agreements with the
C.I.A. and the Air Force. He will need to figure out how they came
about in the first place. The former director, John Carlin, has said he
knows nothing about them. They appear to have been signed only by the
assistant archivist."

I hope Dr. Weinstein does manage to look at how this came about,
without any unnecessary scapegoating, etc.  Having been at the
receiving end of incoming fire in Washington, I wouldn't wish that on
anyone, including Michael Kurtz (who signed the agreements).  We
haven't heard his side of this yet.  All in all, I think it's best to
look at environmental issues and causes.

Maarja