Linda raises some interesting points.  There are a number of ways an
executive branch agency can be punished.  NARA is not immune to any of
them.  I myself don't think that SAA balanced criticism of NARA against
efforts to fight for its budget.  But I could be wrong.  Just as we
don't know what led NARA to sign the agreements, so too do we lack
insights into what influenced the crafting of SAA's statement.  (I'm
actually an SAA member again, after being out for some time.)

As to independence, many people have grappled with that subject.  A
personal note, for what it is worth.  My twin sister, Eva, worked for
18 years in NARA's records declassification division (from 1983 until
her death from cancer in 2002).  From what I remember, I can tell you
that she seemed to feel the potential challenges to NARA's independence
came up with my field of specialty  -- Presidential records --  rather
than hers  -- national security classified records  As close as we
were, although we were Federal employees in very similar job
situations, she never talked about what was in the security classified
documents she handled, just as I never talked about unreleased
information in the Nixon records.  That even was the case while we both
worked as NARA employees (I started there in 1976 and left in 1990).

During the period after Don Wilson stepped down as U.S. Archivist 13
years ago, I was in contact on an informal basis for a while with
William Josephson, who was a law partner of R. Sargent Shriver
(President John Kennedy's brother-in-law).  Mr. Josephson published a
commentary about NARA in the Chronicle of Higher Education on June 18,
1995.  The piece was entitled "The Legislative Branch Should Run the