There are several programs that can transcode and compress digital video
files. Some like ProCoder
http://www.canopus.com/products/ProCoderSW/index.php

Offer many advanced features at a cost that is much less then the $3000 you
mention - but then again it is not an editing program. I think that this may
be your best bet note the free demo on the site.

There are several open source tools as well. One that you may find useful is
VirtualDub
http://www.virtualdub.org/index

not as "professional" a product but it may be just what you need to get your
project done.

Jim Lindner

*
	Email: [log in to unmask]
*
	Media Matters LLC.
*
	Note New Address: 450 West 31st Street 4th FL
	New York, N.Y. 10001
*
	eFax (646) 349-4475
*
	Mobile: (917) 945-2662
*
	www.media-matters.net

Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in archival audio
and video material. We provide advice, analysis, and products to media
archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to collection
management.