Yes, for government employees, our employers are the public.  You put
very well what I rambled on about for a couple of paragraphs under
"archivists' views."

Excellent point about contractors.  Another thing I worry about is the
fact that contractors work under task orders administered by
Contracting Officer's Technical Representatives.  They are paid to do
narrow tasks, period, with no further obligations.  Their loyalty is to
fulfilling the contract, not to the public at large.  In some
assignments, this approach works very well and saves the government
money.  There certainly is a place for "outsourcing" with some
functions that are not "inherently governmental."

But declassification sometimes requires balancing tests  Depending on
the topic of the document, the reviewer may balance the potential
benefits of disclosure against the perceived need for secrecy.  NARA is
not hiring these contractors, rather it is the Air Force contracting
with Raytheon, etc.   So Air Force would be setting the metrics, I
assume.

Are contractors really equipped to apply balancing tests the same way
NARA's civil servants are?  And what about ethical issues?  If
contractors realize a project has gone seriously off track, they have
fewer obligations and places to turn than civil servants do.  There is
no agency Inspector General or agency counsel to turn to, no reporting
chain that is interested in saving the public institution from
embarrassment.   On the other side,  government employees -- permanent
civil servants -- receive ethics training and sometimes save their
agencies from terrible problems by courageously speaking out,
internally, about emerging issues.

Maarja