We should compare the recent statements of the former and current Archivists on the NARA reclassification case, and we should wonder just who is in charge at this institution.  And, as well, we should wonder how many other secret deals have been made by someone at this institution.  We need to remember that the Information Security Oversight Office is an internal NARA organ. While Dr. Weinstein’s statement may seem reassuring, I believe we are pass the point when NARA can be trusted on its own to regulate itself; that trust can be regained, but it will have to come through independent oversight.

I urge all archivists to write to the Society of American Archivists to demand that our professional association create an independent body to look into what is going on in this case, as well as reconsider how NARA can be strengthened as an archival agency in this era of growing government secrecy.  I also urge archivists to support the work of the National Security Agency in its efforts to function as a watchdog of NARA.

John Carlin Statement, as posted yesterday on the Archives list:

Many individuals have asked me about the recent revelations regarding the reclassification efforts at the National Archives.  Like the current Archivist, Dr. Weinstein, I first learned of a “secret” reclassification program in February from the New York Times.  Because the Memorandum of Understanding was still classified, I had no idea what was being discussed in the press. I read the MOU with the Air Force for the first time when the declassified version was released on the Archives website on April 10.  I was shocked by the content, particularly the language that it was in the best interest of the National Archives to keep the public in the dark.  I spent most of my tenure stating that NARA is a public trust ­ this MOU undermines that trust.

I fully support the Archivist’s quick response; including the moratorium on reclassification, his direct involvement in resolving issues with the agencies involved, and the audit by Bill Leonard and the Information Security Oversight Office.  I have every confidence that the audit results and Dr. Weinstein’s other efforts will provide the transparency and improved processes needed to repair the damage done to public trust in NARA.

Allen Weinstein statement, released from NARA yesterday:

Dr. Weinstein's statement:

"There can never be a classified aspect to our mission. Classified agreements are the antithesis of our reason for being. Our focus is on the preservation of records and ensuring their availability to the American public while at the same time fulfilling the people's expectation that we will properly safeguard the classified records entrusted to our custody. Agencies have the prerogative to classify their requests to the National Archives if disclosure of the reasons why they are asking us to take action would cause identifiable damage to national security. However, what we do in response to such requests, and how we do it, will always be as transparent as possible. If records must be removed for reasons of national security, the American people will always, at the very least, know when it occurs and how many records are affected.
"These MOUs, even in their unclassified formats, will be soon be replaced by thoroughly transparent standards governing the review of previously declassified records that have been available for research at the National Archives. These standards are currently being developed by the Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO) and will be promulgated as a change to "Classified National Security Information Directive No. 1" (32 CFR Part 2001) following formal interagency coordination, to include an opportunity for public comment."
Link to the press release:
http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2006/nr06-92.html
Link to the background materials and MOUs:
http://www.archives.gov/declassification/background.html

--
Richard J. Cox
Professor