While I appreciate Peter Hirtle’s comments about my own work, I strongly disagree
 with a few of the points he makes.  He points to other opportunities for independent
review of the National Archives, suggesting it is unnecessary for SAA to take a leadership
role in calling for this.  My contention is that for too long SAA has avoided critiquing
NARA when it needed to do so, instead deferring to NARA in most instances, and
 the result has been a continuing weakening of a strong NARA.  This problem extends
back decades by the way.  The "Joint AHA-OAH Ad Hoc Committee to Investigate the
Charges Against the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library" was a mixed success, but mainly
because SAA was excluded from the deliberation, weakening the analysis of archival practice.
As to the Heiner Affair in Australia, I would say that the Australian Society of Archivists has come
off looking quite poor, but that case concerned a state archives (Queensland) not
the national archives (Chris Hurley has been the advocate for stronger action by the
 ASA in that case, and you can read his version of events in the book I co-edited with
David Wallace, Archives and the Public Good, published in 2002).
However, Peter makes other comments that deeply concern me.  He  writes,
 “I am still concerned about the archival principles at issue in this controversy.
  You can't help wonder why good, decent, well-meaning archivists such as Michael
Kurtz found themselves in a situation where they were signing classified memoranda
of understanding.  My guess is that they were doing the same sort of balancing act
that all archivists must do when it comes to donations.  We sometimes accept a donation
with an inappropriate restriction in the deed of gift in the belief that in doing so, we are
ensuring the preservation of a record that might otherwise be lost - and we
can comfort ourselves with the knowledge that eventually the records will be
 opened.” Whoa, I hope there is considerable disagreement with this sentiment.
  We should never allow “inappropriate restrictions” no matter what our concern
might be the loss of records.  This is a kind of situational ethics that ought to
deeply trouble us, leading to situations such as Janet Malcolm chronicled in her
 book, In the Freud Archives, considering the control of Sigmund Freud papers at the
 Library of Congress.  It is also the kind of argument that has us sitting back
and watching the Presidential Library system spin onward, often bringing in
challenges for access to the records and, at the least, the same kind of control
of the interpretation of the past as we can see in memoir writers (for the
latter, read David Reynold’s recent book on Churchill’s writing of his WWII
memoirs).  Since archivists are almost always concerned about the protection
 of records and threats to them, the logical extension of this argument would
 be to create a rampage of awful access restrictions to collections, frustrating
researchers and undermining the mission of archives everywhere.
I am even more concerned about this comment by Peter: “I suspect that
some at NARA felt that if they were not accommodating towards the CIA and the USAF in what is after all a Congressionally-mandate re-review process, those agencies might be less willing to turn over historical records to NARA.  My impression is that similar sentiments drive NARA's support of classification review by agencies prior to automatic declassification.  Supporting agencies in their desire to keep material that should remain classified out of the automatic declassification chain may lead to more agency willingness to turn over material to NARA - and less lobbying to short-circuit automatic declassification.  In a perfect world, the Archivist would have the authority to demand that agencies turn over all historical files to the Archives, but I am not predicting a perfect world any time soon.”  This is essentially the same argument former Archivist Don Wilson made when he defended his own actions in the PROFS case and his signing of an agreement about the Iran-Contra A!
 ffair e
mail as he left his NARA post.  So, where do we go with this?  Do we urge having a National Archives with no role in federal records and information policy, just so some records might survive for future historians.  In addition to being an archivist, I am a citizen, and I would like to see a strong NARA protecting and defending open government.  I am not naive about that"perfect world," but I hope we can agree that it is worth working for a muchbetter world.
--
Richard J. Cox
Professor

"What we would like to do is change the world - to make it a little simpler for people to feed, clothe, and shelter themselves as God intended for them to do. And we can change the world: we can work for the oasis, the little cell of joy and peace in a harried world. We can throw our pebble in the pond and be confident that its ever widening circle will reach around the world." - Dorothy Day

From: Richard Cox <[log in to unmask]>