Wow, what a cool story.  I didn't see it on Friday. Archivists are the best, aren't they!  It's nice to hear about something good happening, thanks for posting this.   And bravo, Andy, what you did was wonderful!!

Maarja

Maarja Krusten
GAO Historian
Office of Quality and
     Continuous Improvement (QCI)
>>> "Lesley W. Brunet" <[log in to unmask]> 04/14/06 5:05 PM >>>
I'd like to recognize the quick-thinking and heroic actions of archivist  Andy Hempe, of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center.

Andy performed the Heimlich maneuver on a fellow archivist--and
asthmatic--who began choking at a gathering of the Archivists of the
Houston area (AHA) on April 5, possibly saving her life.

I'd tell you more about it, but I believe I was unconscious at the
time....   ( We have pretty exciting meetings down here in Houston.)

Thank you, Andy!   I owe you big time.    Thanks also to Annie Golden, M.
J. Figard, and other AHAers who came to my aid.

And in the true A&A tradition, here is a link so you, too, can be prepared
for such an event.
http://www.heimlichinstitute.org/howtodo.html#asthmaAnchor

Have a good weekend, all.

Lesley

Lesley W. Brunet
Manager, Historical Resources Center
Research Medical Library
University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, Texas 77030-4009
713-792-8220
713-563-3650 (fax)

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES