Hello Everyone,

John Carlin asked me to forward the following
statement to the Archives List. If you care to
respond directly to the statement, his email address is [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
Tel: 513-529-6720
Email: [log in to unmask]

John Carlin Statement:

Many individuals have asked me about the recent revelations regarding
the reclassification efforts at the National Archives.  Like the
current Archivist, Dr. Weinstein, I first learned of a “secret”
reclassification program in February from the New York Times.  Because
the Memorandum of Understanding was still classified, I had no idea
what was being discussed in the press. I read the MOU with the Air
Force for the first time when the declassified version was released on
the Archives website on April 10.  I was shocked by the content,
particularly the language that it was in the best interest of the
National Archives to keep the public in the dark.  I spent most of my
tenure stating that NARA is a public trust ­ this MOU undermines that
trust.

I fully support the Archivist’s quick response; including the moratorium
on reclassification, his direct involvement in resolving issues with
the agencies involved, and the audit by Bill Leonard and the
Information Security Oversight Office.  I have every confidence that
the audit results and Dr. Weinstein’s other efforts will provide the
transparency and improved processes needed to repair the damage done to
public trust in NARA.