Our archive is a branch of a public library, so our reading room needs to be accessible to all public library users. We proctor exams and we allow the public to use our internet terminals for personal use. We also offer wifi to the public. But our rules for the room supercede everything else going on in the room...so we still enforce no meetings, no loud talking, no cells, pencil only, no food or drink, all personal items are to be placed on the floor, and researchers of historical materials have priority use of computers over the general public.

Wendy Hall, Manager
Carnegie Branch Library for Local History
1125 Pine St
Boulder, Colorado.

>>> Dean DeBolt <[log in to unmask]> 04/18/06 11:12AM >>>
We don't have a policy like you describe here, but we have on rare
occasions
permitted the reading room to be used for a meeting, perhaps a exam
proctor,
that kind of thing, but everyone understands that the researcher comes
first.
Researchers are fickle, if the room looks like it is "in use" by someone
else,
they won't come in.    You have to emphasize the reading room is
reserved
for researchers.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian, Special Collections
John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
850-474-2213