For a study of Soviet / Russian archival practices, I found reference to:

    Ernst Posner, "A Brief Preliminary Appraisla of the Registration of Archival Materials in the USSR. (With Comments on Other Significant Developments.)" (National Archives, May 26, 1948).
    CD1714 .P6 1948

Unfortunately, my ILL has indicated that NARA itself holds the only registered copy of the 30 pp. study.  When I finally acquired a copy from NARA, that copy turns out to be an incomplete photocopy (missing one of the attachments) -- and with incomplete copies of the final 10 pages.

If another subscriber to ARCHIVES can direct me to another repository that possesses a complete copy -- or if a subscriber can provide me a copy directly (e-mail or fax) -- I would be most grateful.

David Alan Rich