I agree with Richard Cox's call for more active involvement by SAA and its
membership on the reclassification controversy. And the SAA may want to form
committees around this and other select issues to determine how to respond to
them (particularly the current status of the PRA). But the reclassification
issue is one of numerous initiatives that have targeted key congressional post-
Watergate open government statutes:

1) The narrowing of the Freedom of Information Act on numerous fronts
2) The rewriting of the Presidential Records Act
3) The defeat of the GAO's judicial enforcement powers vis a vis White House
4) The defeat of the 1972 Federal Advisory Committee Act
5) The circumvention of FISA

Not to mention the administration's reluctance to turn over information to the
9/11 Commission and to Congress on a wide range of issues, the clamping down on
leaks to the press (a time honored tradition), giving fewer press conferences,
removing hundreds of thousands of documents once considered public from
government websites--together with the expanded mandates of the federal
government's intelligence agencies. While the White House has vigorously sought
to reassert presidential powers that it perceives to have eroded since the
Nixon years, Congress has willingly--until more recently--abdicated its
authority. The reclassification controversy has occured within this much larger
context.

Peter Hirtle wonders at the reasons why NARA might have signed the secret MOU's:

"You can't help wonder why good, decent, well-meaning archivists such as
Michael Kurtz found themselves in a situation where they signed classified
memoranda of understanding. My guess is that they were doing the same sort of
balancing act that all archivists must do when it comes to donations..."

But the more plausible reason is that NARA likely was pressured by powerful
executive agencies operating under the wider initiative to shut off information
across the federal government in the wake of 9/11 and because of the
administration's larger agenda of reasserting executive powers. You have to
remember that NARA is a relatively weak executive agency vis a vis the others,
that the U.S. archivist serves at the pleasure of the White House, and that it
has no viable political support in Congress to resist executive branch
pressure. Weinstein is in a much better position now than Carlin was in the
immediate aftermath of 9/11 to resist such secrecy. After all, he also was hand
picked by the current administration, and so far, has acted on principal and
with integrity.

Bruce Montgomery
Univ. of Colorado