Playing devil's advocate - If you don't have to put any money into the
collection (except for shelf space, electricity and security) and it is
a collection that your patrons would use, then go for it.  Now if you
have to spend money on cataloging - ask for a monetary donation to go
along with the long-term loan.

Also, get the agreement in writing, with multiple contact points, and
options on either side to cancel the agreement.

We have one collection at my place that has been on loan for 20 years.
The "Loaners" give us money to process and catalog it.  They have
insured it, and shouldn't hold us liable as long as we stick to the
agreement.  Our students use it, we get good publicity, and we don't put
hard cash into.

Some times there are work-arounds.

Gerri Schaad

University of Texas at San Antonio