I would just like to add to this current thread a basic, simple truth
that we, as a profession, say we embrace:

Archivists believe in keeping material for its USE as much as its
PRESERVATION.  In other words, there is no point in collecting and
preserving documents if we do not allow people to look at and use them.

Regardless of the political fray that marks the current NARA issue,
certainly we can boil down our profession's stance by insisting on this
basic principle.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

Kim Allen Scott