Eric G. Grundset wrote:
"Both days I had plenty of extra time to spend getting a new card and neither day (the first one being a Saturday) was the place busy at all (in fact, on that Saturday it was empty of researchers). This certainly is not very good public service either."

Maarja, Eric, et al.,

I feel your pain.  I once wanted to use NARA's reading room on a Saturday, so I went to their website to get the hours, etc.  To my surprise, they don't pull records from the stacks on Saturdays.  You have to request the records you want on the day before.  This is what their website says:

No records are retrieved from the stacks on Saturday or in the evening. If research is conducted on Saturday or after the last retrieval time, advance arrangements must be made to have records available by calling the reference numbers below. To confirm that records were retrieved, call (301) 837-1964.

I pity those researchers who come to Washington from out-of-the-area, don't know this, and learn it when they arrive at the Archives on Saturday morning.
Never mind that not all NARA's finding aids are available online and that most are available only onsite.  Or that many requests for records come back as "Not on Shelf," or that most archival research leads to dead-ends.  Just getting to the Archives at College Park is no easy feat, and especially on Saturdays using public transit.  If you have to trek out there to search the finding aids to find out which records you'll need the next day, then you might as well do your research the same day you're there.

So I'm not surprised that NARA was empty when Eric visited on a Saturday.  One would think an astute manager would look at the visitor statistics for Saturdays and ask themself, "What's going on here?  Why is no one using the Archives on Saturdays?"  Well, duh!  Take a look at your arcane procedures, dude.

NARA has thrown up way too many hurdles for researchers under the guise of security or lack of funding.  I can just imagine the public outrage if my local public library operated as does NARA.  It's no wonder that so many people have a negative image of public servants.  All it takes is one bad apple or one bad experience.

I'm now stepping off my soapbox and getting back to work.  But I do feel much better already.....

Harry

Harry G. Heiss, Archivist
Bureau of the Public Debt
Department of the Treasury