Sounds awfully complicated.  I'd strongly recommend a cost-benefit analysis
before undertaking anything like this.  Some questions I would ask about
automated data gathering:

1) How large are the collections?  This will explain how much work barcoding
everything will be
2) How many reference requests are involved?  For a small shop like mine,
averaging 50-75 requests a year, you'd definitely be putting in more work
than it's worth.
3) How much will any system cost?  Both in money and staff time

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that occur to me now.  You
can definitely create basic databases to track requests at relatively low
cost, if you have either a DB you use now or want to buy one.  You're still
at the mercy of database programming and data entry, but you can certainly
develop DBs that will track what's happening.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>